First Baptist Churches’ Senior Pastor Search Committee is happy to announce that they have unanimously agreed to extend a call to a candidate, and he has accepted.
But the job is not yet finished. Instead, it starts a period of engagement with the full congregation to finalize the decision. Here is what comes next:
- We have set Sunday, January 19, 2020, as the date for the congregation to formally meet the candidate and hear him preach at both services. Then the congregation will hold a special meeting to vote on approving the call. The FBC bylaws require that the special meeting be publicized 3 weeks prior to the meeting. This announcement is already being carried out at church gatherings and in written communication
- After the completion of the Christmas holiday season, on Sunday, January 12, the candidate’s name will be publicly announced. (The candidate has asked for this delay to allow for a smoother transition at his current church.)
- On Wednesday, January 15, the candidate will join us during our Wednesday evening dinner for an informal “meet and greet” event.
On Sunday, January 19, (the 3rd Sunday in January):
- The candidate will preach at the 8:45 am and the 11:00 am services.
- At 10:00 am, there will be Question and Answer session in fellowship hall with the candidate.
- Directly following the 11:00 am service, there will be a special meeting of the congregation in the sanctuary where members will vote on the call of the senior pastor.
- Following the special meeting, lunch will be served downstairs.
This is an exciting time in the life of FBC. Of utmost importance is your participation in meeting the candidate, hearing him during the services on Sunday, January 19, and being part of the special meeting following the service. FBC bylaws require “a quorum of either 100 active members or 20% of the active members (whichever is least)”. Then, a vote of three-fourths present is needed to formally extend the call for a new senior pastor.
The whole FBC family has been very supportive of this process. Also, additional thanks should be extended to the search committee members:
Wayne Cody (chair)