The 2017 ABCUSA Biennial Mission Summit is set to begin in Portland at the Portland Convention Center on
the last Friday in June. On the Wednesday evening and Thursday immediately preceding the Biennial, the American Baptist Churches of the Central Pacific Coast will gather for their Annual Gathering at the First Baptist Church of Portland. These two events have been combined to minimize the travel demands on our churches and to encourage greater participation in both events.
Because of the truncated Annual Gathering schedule, registration has been streamlined and costs minimized. Participants are asked to simply call or email the Region office to help us get an accurate count for the two meals. FBC Portland will be providing the Wednesday evening meal at a cost of $6 per person, payable at the door. The Drop-In Center, FBC’s ministry to homeless and low-income residents downtown, has invited us to join their staff for lunch on Thursday. Donations will be welcomed!
- Wednesday evening’s schedule (June 28) consists of dinner at 6:30 and the program at 7:30. The meal will be in the church dining hall and the program will be in the church’s community center across the street from the sanctuary. Our guests for the evening program include ABC International Ministries mission partners serving around the world. Signage will direct you to the appropriate places. Parking is available in the church’s lot next door at 12th and Salmon Streets.
- Thursday’s schedule (June 29) begins at 9:30 a.m. with opening worship. Immediately following worship we will hear our State of the Region report from our Executive Minister and reports from our partners across the region. At the business meeting portion of our time together we will receive the report from the Nominating Committee and elect members to serve on the 2018 Board of Ministry.
- Following lunch with the Drop-In Center staff we will reconvene to wrap up any unfinished work and should be done by 2 p.m. Anyone who is interested in the work of the Drop-In Center is invited to return following our afternoon session to volunteer to help them as they serve the afternoon meal from 2-4 p.m.
- To “register” for the Annual Gathering, please simply call the office at (503) 228-8394 or email us at email@example.com and let us know that we should include you in the meal count(s).
- To register for the ABC-USA Biennial Mission Summit go to www.americanbaptists2017.org.
- Public transportation is available from the Biennial hotels to First Baptist Church. Details will be sent by email when your register.